Good morning, Creekside,
It is Thursday, February 18 and our 8th straight day of temperatures in the 30's. NO, this does not change my mind about winter, I love winter. NO, I will not embrace July and August with a new fond appreciation.
Once again, we find ourselves embroiled in another pandemic of "cold" and it's Trump's fault, Biden's fault, green energy's fault, ERCOT's fault, Paris agreement fault, global warming fault, because "you have to get colder to get warmer", ...all the while we are the ones making life happen and surviving with our skills and wit!!!
Oh...our trust, faith, hope in God and our ability to tend to our "neighbor", but those are not newsworthy stories!!
The grocery stores are once again empty, and panic has ensued. May I remind us it is also another day to pray, thank God for what we have and "walk humbly with our God". Weird how these Bible verses of walking with humility and the Lord's prayer of "daily bread" seem to be a re-emerging theme these days.
In the last few days between clap on and clap off power I have realized I have quite a few warm weather clothing, I'm blessed; I have a house for shelter, I'm blessed; I have enough food in my fridge and pantry to last a few days, I'm blessed; I have spent more time playing games with my grown daughters and talking together, so I'm blessed. Anyone want to build a snowman? I did, with my three daughters. Best fun in years!
Well, what's happening and what are the changes?
Things to know:
1) I feel terrible we were not able to open as a "warming facility" for our community, but we didn't have power for three days. After Harvey we spent several thousand dollars getting a commercial fridge, freezer, defibrillators, commercial first aid packs and a washer/dryer so we would be ready for the next disaster and be Red Cross worthy. What we need now is a generator system. We are currently looking into this to remedy this for the next disaster and keeping us in the forefront to meet the needs of our community.
2) Guys, we will postpone the 5 stand skeet shoot due to circumstances we can't fix. New date coming soon
3) CCA and Springer will remain closed Thursday/Friday due to the fact we can't control the duration of current power and we cannot keep kids in a licensed facility without power
4) Food drive with the local Boy Scouts is still ongoing. Please bring can/dry goods to the front lobby
5) Youth Group will relaunch this coming Wednesday 2/24 firstname.lastname@example.org
Regarding Worship and Church facility:
1) THURSDAY WORSHIP IS A GO. Clap on power or clap off power we will worship this evening at 7:00p. There will not be Children's Ministry this evening for kids. We need to keep the kids in a warm and safe environment and we can't guarantee this.
2) SUNDAY WORSHIP WILL GO ON at 9:30 and 11:00
3) Children's ministry will be available this Sunday assuming we have power
4) We will still do our best to conserve energy so our building thermostats will be lowered. Please wear a jacket in worship and fill up your hot coffee/chocolate etc.....no schnapps additives in worship people!! I can hear you brains and smiles working from here.
Our facilities leader Ray, shut the water at the well source and flushed the pipes Sunday after worship. Because of his brilliant move we have water with no busted pipes and high repair expense.
I think this is it. Once again I am impressed with our resilience as a church and our ability to help our neighbor. Let's worship.
I love this church
See you tonight or this Sunday.